Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Impossible?

"And did you know that your cousin Elizabeth conceived a son, old as she is? Everyone called her barren, and here she is six months pregnant!
Nothing,you see,
is impossible with God."
Luke 1:36

Are you kidding me?  How has it slipped by me ALL THESE YEARS that "nothing is impossible with God" is referencing Elizabeth who was barren for many years. 

How is it that we so easily read over this story and forget to look at the infertility aspect of it?  How is it that I have done that with SO MANY stories in the Bible?  We often reference Hannah but forget about Sara, Rebekah, Rachel, Elizabeth, and others.  It's easy to read "barren" and forget that that also means infertile.

Think about the story of Elizabeth in Luke 1.
  11Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. 14He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.[b] 16Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God. 17And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
18Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years."
19The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. 20And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time."
21Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. 22When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak.
23When his time of service was completed, he returned home. 24After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. 25"The Lord has done this for me," she said. "In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people."

Look at the timeline. 
Zachariah was away and in the temple when the angel appeared to him.  He became silent at that moment.  He never had a chance to run to Elizabeth and say "the craziest thing happened to me today..." or "apparently God says we are going to be parents..." or something of that nature.  He never gets to express this to her.  The angel appeared to him, he questioned it, was made silent, and then finished up his time at the temple.  The THEN returned home & sometime later Elizabeth became pregnant.  Zachariah didn't speak until the baby, John, was 8 days old. 

Can you imagine that conversation?

Elizabeth never knew that this pregnancy was coming.  She never knew about God's plan.  The Bible says that for 5 months of the pregnancy she stayed in seclusion.  It then talks about her disgrace among the people b/c of her infertility.

What an interesting study to look at these stories of barren women in the Bible.  Hannah was bitter.  Sara laughed.  Rebekah's husband had to pray for her.  Zachariah questioned.  And the whole story of Rachel & Leah is crazy (Gen 29-30)...but God closed Rachel's womb and then later "remembered her" and opened it.

Man, I want to talk to these women!  I want to read their blogs, pick their minds, pray with them.  I want to hear their stories of hurt, faith, anger, disbelief, brokenness, and ultimately success.  And what success...look at their children!  Isaac, Jacob (& Esau), Joseph (& Benjamin), Samuel, John the Baptist.

"When it was time for Elizabeth to have her baby, she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy."  Luke 1:57 


Last week, Ben and I snuck into a worship service at a local church.  It's geared for area singles, but we went anyway.  We may have felt out of place at first...but we were right where God wanted us to be.  We didn't sing many songs, but the last one we sung was "Never Let Go" which I have quoted before.  I sang my little heart out until we got to the hook (is that what it's called?):

"There will be an end to these troubles, but until that day comes, still I will praise you, still I will praise you."

I made it through the first singing of those words w/ just my eyes filling.  No spillage of the tears, yet.  Until we sang it over and over again.  At that point...I was wiping the tears from my chin.  There was no control anymore & I am learning to be OK with that.  I feel called to let go more & cry when needed...and that's just what I did.  And it felt so good.

Man.

I don't even know how to wrap this up.
I don't know how to express my thoughts on this...I'm all over the place.  I hope this made sense to someone out there.  Sorry, but, I cant end this with encouragement...I am still searching...I have none.  I wanted to share because these ladies have been in my constant thoughts the last few days & I hope that others can find comfort in reading and studying more about these ladies.  I will be.
There is no way to "close" this blog, because my story is still open and my story is still being written. 

What I do know is this:

"NOTHING, you see, is impossible with God"

God, give me faith to get through the wait & take away my unbelief.  STILL I WILL PRAISE YOU.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Great post! I must admit that I have never sat down to actually read the stories of the "barren" women in the bible. I really need to. Thanks so much for sharing your heart.

Stacey said...

Coming from New Friend Fridays. Great Post! We all need to take time to remember this.

Terrell said...

I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor!! I'm also having a Fabulous link party/giveaway today!! Hope you stop by!!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Inspired2cook said...

Stopping by from New Friend Friday. Nice to meet you!

Waiting on God's timing when we want something so badly is always difficult. My husband & I are in the middle of a waiting period like that, and yet I know that God is in control. Sure, I get frustrated sometimes but I am confident that His timing is perfect.

Lord, bless Kristina & Ben as they wait on you. I pray for strength, comfort, and the peace that passes all understanding to cover them in the midst of this trial. Above all, I pray that you, Lord, would be glorified! Amen.

I will continue to pray for you, Kristina!

Erin said...

Hi, I am a new follower. I just got done reading your story about IF. I pray that things work out for you sooner rather than later, because you have been on quite the journey. I myself found out that I have endometriosis in march, and we are now "trying" for baby number one. Good Luck, and I look forward to reading your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails