Friday, July 16, 2010

Making New Friends with Five Question Friday

New Friend Fridays




I love to do the dual Friday post with 5QF from Mama M and NFF from the Trendy Treehouse...that way, I can make new friends and they can get to know a little about me, too.  Be sure to link up by following the 2 steps at the bottom of the post...that way we can follow the blog-hop and read your questions.  No pressure here, though...I love to read new blogs and I love new friends, so link up and follow if you would like and we will all have a good time.  Let me know that you were here and I'll stop by your place, too!

Rules for Five Question Friday:

Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then link up! If you don't have a blog but would like to play along, feel free to leave your answers in the comments of this blog, or any blog along the way!

1. Do you collect anything?
2. Name 3 celebrities that you find good looking.
3. Do you have any scars? If so, what's the story behind it (them?)?
4. What is a food that you like to eat, but others might think it's gross or weird?
5. Have you ever seen a tornado in real life?
--------------------------------------------------
1. Do you collect anything?
Although my husband would prob say shoes, I cant think of anything that I collect right now. When I was little, my sister started collecting stamps and was REALLY into it.  Of course, I had to be "really into something," too.  So, I started collecting coins.  Um...can I admit that I was never really into it?!?!?  I have a pretty good little collection (including one that came in a box of Frosted Flakes with Tony the Tiger on it!) (HAVE-as in, still have...Ben "likes" it and wont let me get rid of it) and my parents and I would spend time putting them in the little envelopes, looking at my uncle's coin collection and such.  Can I admit now that I was always bored out of my mine?!?!!!!  Oh well, it's there now. 

When I was a teenage, I started collecting several things...I had a collection of things that hung from the ceiling in my bedroom and a collection of angels.  My bedroom was green, gold, and orange when I moved into it as a child (I moved OUT of the room I shared with BOTH sisters into the guest room from the 1970s).  My goal was to distract from the horrid wall paper and orange drapes.  So, I started hanging things from my ceiling.  At one point, my goal was to have a swing, but that got nixed.  We eventually painted (over the wallpaper) white walls, but I also did a good job of covering those with various hideous things.  Oh that room was a whole lot of crazy.  But it was mine and I loved it then.  I also collected angels...I had close to 100 (all in that small room!!).  I loved all things angels and had big ones, small ones, cute ones, ugly ones, deformed ones (sitting on pillars that said Mexico on the base!), and some that hung from my ceiling!  I even have a little cherub angel (you know those dreamsicles?) that is sitting on a potty!  I still have some of them (including the potty girl)...but have parted with some of the more hideous/deformed ones that I had just for the sake of adding to my collection.  My most treasured one is one that Kelly's mom made for me.  She comes out at Christmas and is super special!!

Now I collect things like...Pampered Chef kitchen items!!!!!!!!!!  Antique dishes, UK basketball stuff for Ben...and yes, maybe we can say shoes.  I am particularly in LOVE with Yellow Box flip flops...I think I need to add to THAT collection!!

2. Name 3 celebrities that you find good looking.
1) OK, I'm gonna start w/ George Cloony...it's not really b/c he is good looking...he's OK in that older man kind of way...but I think he's HILARIOUS & I love that!!!!  Have you ever watched interviews of him where he talks about pranks?!?!  He cracks me up...and I love that!!!!!  He once bought a HORRID painting, signed his name to the bottom, and gave it to a good friend as a gift & said that he painted it just for them to hang in their living room.  He made a big deal about how FABULOUS it was...so they hung it up out of obligation.  He didnt say anything for OVER A YEAR...and they left it hanging in their living room!!!!  Everyone hated it, but no one would say anything to HIM about it b/c they thought that he painted it.  Finally he told them the truth...and the prank was paid back ten fold...and then he paid them back...and it kept going.  I love that!
2) Jennifer Aniston's hair.  I need it.
3) my husband...he's a celebrity in my world and I dont need to find anyone else good looking!!! 
3. Do you have any scars? If so, what's the story behind it (them?)?
OK, so when I first read this, I thought..."IT?"  Some people only have 1?  What in the world?  Here's my quick list:

-I have NUMEROUS from skinned knees (over and over) growing up
-one across my thigh from getting out of an old school yard lounge chair...the bottom of the metal arm rest scraped across my leg and sliced it pretty good.
-behind my left ankle where I had stitched b/c my sister slammed a screen door open into it
-on my ankle bone where I cut it on a rock in a river in Mexico
-b**b reduction surgery
-wrist surgery (luckly it was arthroscopic so there are only 4 small dots)
-belly button from the lap
-c-section scar from the myomectomy
-inside of my big toe where I dropped a knife through it
-I have a little dimple in my forehead when I raise my eyebrows from falling into the rocker on a rocking chair when I was 2 or 3
-I am SURE that there is a scar somewhere on the top of my head from when the swing set fell on it when I was 6 or 7

Oh gosh, I am trying to think over my body & I KNOW that there are more, but I think the ones above are the biggest and most memorable. 

4. What is a food that you like to eat, but others might think it's gross or weird?
CRAWFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Louisiana girl loves her some crawfish!!!!!! 
January-May is my FAVE food time of year!!!  But, not in TX...the places that claim to have crawfish here should be sued for false advertising!!  YUCK!
Funny story...when I was teaching 3rd grade, we had a science curriculum that required us to have live crawfish in our classrooms.  So, we were sent 12 crawfish each year and had to take care of them for a set ## of weeks, name them, observe them, learn how to pick them up, feed them, and watch them "wrestle" ;).  
My students were HORRIFIED to learn that I liked to eat these little guys!  I always threatened to take them home & boil 'em up.  We always had them in the fall & after we are finished w/ them, we have to send them home with the students as pets (if the parents signed that they could...they LOVED us!!!).  We were not allowed to let them go in the wild b/c they were farm raised and it would mess up the eco system if we released them.  Whatever.  So, I sent them home.  Most didnt last long, but one year I had a few students who managed to keep theirs alive for the rest of the school year.  I LOVED taunting them...and one weekend was going home to LA for a weekend between Jan & May.  I let my students know that I was SUPER excited to be EATING crawfish while I was home, described the cooking process, coloring, and eating process.  They were devastated. 
So, being the ever-caring teacher that I was...I took a baggie w/ me to the restaurant and ate the tail off of one and saved the head.  I put it in the freezer and it made it's way back w/ me and SOMEHOW made it to my school one day.  I pulled it out in the middle of some lesson and my kids were MORTIFIED.  There was a collective GASP and screams!  It was GREATNESS!!!!  One little boy had named his crawfish Mrs Stephens (after his FAVE teacher)...and he said "Mrs Stephens, you ate Mrs Stephens!!!"  I loved it!!  It was a HILARIOUS moment...and I'm sure that they will remember it forever.  I then, because I was a good teacher, tied it into a lesson about the food chain.  See...it WAS relevant!!! 

All that to say that my #1 ALL TIME FAVE food is boiled crawfish...and it had better be spicy!!!  You KNOW you have eaten quality LA good crawfish when your lips burn for at LEAST 2 hours after eating.  That's good stuff.

5. Have you ever seen a tornado in real life?
Seen?  No
Been IN them...yes!!  The best was my Freshman year at Harding.  I went to school 3 days a week and kept a little baby 2 days.  He was only 8 weeks old when I started keeping him in Jan...and this happened at the end of Jan...so he was MAYBE 10 weeks old at that time.  It was a NASTY day in Searcy and my g-ma (who lives in town) had called me a MILLION times to be watching the weather and checking up on me.  (she had called my sister to go to her house b/c of the storms coming)  She made sure I was paying attention and had searched the house for a bathroom, hall, or closet to get in.  Well, this house has no closets or bathrooms that didnt have an outside wall!  Great!  There was a hall, though.  So, I started preparing.  Once things started getting pretty bad, I had the back door open and I was just watching it turn greener and greener outside.  I had the TV playing only a Doppler and it said that the tornadoes were coming and would hit the west side of town first.  What side was I on?  The West...great!  Once the sirens went off, I started freaking out!!!  The baby's dad taught at the Univ, and had called to say that he couldnt get home, etc... So, here I was 18 years old alone in a home w/ no closets w/out outside walls, and a 10 week old!!  I took all of the pillows from the couch and chairs and put them into the hallway.  I also rolled the baby's bassinet in there and took bottles & diapers & anything that I could think that we would need.  I left the baby sleeping in the bassinet and stood where I could watch the TV until the electricity went off.  My plan was, that if things got REALLY bad, I was going to put the baby in the bottom of the bassinet and throw my body through the legs on top of him and cover my head with a pillow.  Well, as I was pacing the floor, there was a knock on the door.  It was a neighbor.  She said that she was home alone and thought that maybe the mom of the baby was home alone w/ the 2 boys (there was also a 2 year old who was at school that day) and she didnt want to be home alone and thought that she could help out w/ the boys.  I had NO clue who this lady was, but let her in!!!  A little while later, the baby's daddy managed to get home w/ the 2 year old.  This was now around 6PM & the electricity was in and out and the storms would come and go.  So now it was me, 10 week old baby, neighbor lady, baby's daddy, & 2 year old brother all hanging out in the hall of this house.  At one point, the radio said "we have a break in the storms, if you need anything you should do it now" so the dad looked at me and said "lets get you back."  So, he drove me back to campus.  I lived on the first floor, so when I turned onto my hall it was FULL of girls and boys (boys in the dorm was a HUGE no-no at this private Christian Univ!).  This was maybe 8PM and they had ALL been there since around 4 when the sirens started.  More people started filing in (since there was a break in the storm...then emptied the school buildings and people that were stuck in the freezers at Subway made their way back to campus) so those of us on the first floor got our comforters, blankets, pillows, and phones to call our parents when we could get a signal.  We were CRAMMED in the hall...on both sides...not knowing what was happening outside.  Security would come in and tell about their car being picked up...which we later found out was NOT true...but they were really the only connection we had to the outside world.  We ended up staying in the hall until about midnight.  What a weird night that was!!!!  My sister...who had gone to my grandparents...ended up in a closet w/ my MaMa, PaPa, & a mattress on top of them!   It was a CRAZY day...but one that I will never forget!!!  I think that there was something like 20 tornadoes in the area that night.  Searcy was never hit too bad, but some neighboring cities were flattened.  We got out of school to help w/ some relief efforts the next week.  Oh Freshman year...what an adventure you were...a few weeks after this, I fell in the manhole, but that's another story for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember being piled in the hallway several times our freshman year while we waited the tornadoes out - man what memories
Jenn Goff Sale

Related Posts with Thumbnails