Monday, July 26, 2010

Just Wait

"Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD."
 Psalm 27:14 (NLT)

Waiting.  Ugg...something I have never been good at.  Remember, patience is something that I need but dont EVER pray for!!  But, here we are...just waiting.  Waiting for a baby.  Waiting to get pregnant.  Waiting for a miracle.  Waiting on the Lord.  Waiting for OUR miracle!

photo by QueenNeveen

My dear friend, Leah (also in "the wait") sent me an email that she got from her daily devo page from Proverbs 31 Ministries.  She knows me so well!! 

She knew that I would need to read the devo from today.  It talks about the verse above being written by David.  David, a Shepard boy, was chosen by God to be King...but it didnt happen overnight.  Even after he was anointed David stayed in the fields with the sheep and WAITED for God's timing.  He "waited" (literally) on King Saul and just WAITED a LONG time!  15 years. 

Here is a list that the devo gave of lessons that David learned through his wait:

1. Even though we are anointed and appointed we may still have to wait. David waited fifteen years to be king of Judah and even longer to be king of all Israel.


2. God's ways are not our ways; His thoughts are not our thoughts. After being anointed and appointed David was called to serve Saul, the king who was sitting on "his" throne.

3. God doesn't waste time; He holds it in His hands. He redeems it by using our experiences to prosper us in each season of life.

4. If we allow it, our waiting will bring us to an intimate knowledge of the Savior that we would not other wise have. Most of David's beautiful and poetic psalms were written while in caves, caverns, and the wilderness, waiting on God.

5. God does not ignore the cries of His children. David cried out, and at times begged God for help, invention, and defense. God never let David down. He did eventually take the throne, didn't he?

6. Our waiting has a purpose for someone other that ourselves. It is not all about us. Just think of how rich our lives are today because of the wait David endured. We have the comfort, compassion, hope, and healing of his amazing poetry.

I bolded the parts that hit me the hardest.  #6 really got me.  For so long, I have been asking "WHAT AM I MISSING, GOD?" and been praying for a billboard.  Maybe it's not about me?


I was talking to another dear friend Amber the other night after a Pampered Chef party at my house.  Amber is the consultant and as we cleaned up, we started talking...then crying...then stopped cleaning to just sit at the table and talk and cry.  This was SO foreign to me...for it to just be the 2 of us and be crying together.  NOT in my norm or my comfort zone...but, I've been trying to get out of that comfort zone & just let go and cry if I need to...so I cried.  WE cried.  It was such a refreshing night.  She didnt leave until midnight...oops...but it was a night that I will always hold so dear! 

Anyway, Amber said this VERY thing...maybe it's not something that I am missing or something that I need to learn.  Maybe it's who we encounter along the way and what THEY are needing.  Or really, maybe it's some of both.  So, lately along with my prayers to see what I need to change and the SEE it when it comes along...I have also been praying that God make it obvious when I need to share.  Open up when I need to and be aware of those around me that I might touch. 

Now, let me tell you that in the last 3 weeks I have cried a MILLION times...I am NOT OK with this, but I am stretching and I am growing, I guess.  I have talked more openly about our struggles and tried to be there for others who feel the same way. 

Every time I think about "waiting" a song that we sang a few times in the youth group growing up comes to my mind.  It was not a popular one, but it stuck with me and plays through my head a LOT lately.  I even sang a little rendition to Ben...and by the time I finished we were both laughing our pants off.  See, there are some mixed boy and girl parts in this, but I'll just type it straight.  Here goes, I am not sure of all these words (I dont even know how the first phrase starts, I just mumble that part), but here's what I sing in my head:

"...wait on the Lord and He'll support you. 
He will never let the righteous fall. 
Though the answer it seems is not what you wanted,
He'll always be right there when you call.     
So, wait on the Lord.
Even in the depths of despair.
When you're feeling down and blue.
He'll lift you up &  (ladies: AHHHHHHHH)
He'll always be right there for you."

Wish you could all sing it with me now...if you know it & it's in your head now, you can thank me later!! 

For us...now we wait.  No matter how hard it is, we wait.  But, we know that we are waiting for our MIRACLE...and we know that it's going to be worth it!!

So, what about you...having a hard time waiting?  What made it better?  Did something about David's wait resonate with you, too?  I'd love to hear from you!

5 comments:

Leah said...

I am so glad you found this helpful. I know I did! As much as I want miracles to happen NOW, I have to wait. I find it so hard to just let God take care of it. I want so badly to try everything I can think of to not have to wait. It is so hard! I am glad you are opening up about it because holding it in makes it so much harder! I am just down the street if you need to talk...or cry. I love you so much and your friendship means so much to me!

Colleen said...

This was a sweet and heartfelt post. (I found you from 31 DBBB.) I'm in the waiting season too... except I'm waiting for my man, and he is taking forEVER! :P But I know that God has the right one for me, and He always blesses me beyond what I imagined. So it's worth the wait!! Thank you for these encouraging words though. It's hard to be patient sometimes.

Stephanie said...

I love reading your posts. They are so encouraging and honest! Still praying for you and Ben!

beloved of the king said...

"While I'm waiting" by John Waller was on the radio yesterday and it made me think of you and ben. praying.

"I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait..."

Megan said...

Wow. You have no idea how much I needed to hear {read} this. It is SO HARD to just wait and wait and wait and not see anything happen. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to save it and read it again and again.

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting today. It looks like your blog isn't connected to your email so I couldn't email you. So jealous that you're so close to a cupcake shop! LOL I would have to have a ton of restraint to not be there every day, too, if I was so close. Haha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails