Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Intern No More!!!!

So, when you graduate with a degree in counseling, you are what is considered a "Counseling Intern" or LPC-Intern (Licensed Professional Counselor-Intern).  You remain an "intern" until you have compleated 3,000 hours under the direction of a supervisor whom you answer to each week.  The licensing bpard gives you 10 years to get this done...but it cannot be finished in less than 18 months.  They figure that this is the LEAST ammt of time you could get it finished working full time. 

September was my 18 months.  Since getting my intern license.  I started counseling before I was finished teaching and spent a good long time working only part time.  BUT, September was my 18 months. 

Ben made me this handy-dandy Excel spreadsheet to enter my hours.  It's all high tech and crazy.  But, took some WORK.  I had to literally enter every day as well as every client I saw, plus any groups, supervision hours, and books I read.  Easy, but tedious work.  I have been working on it off and on for a while now.  I knew that in September I was CLOSE, but I didnt know how close.  I have a record of my work/clients, just not entered in the spreadsheet. 

Everyday when I get home Ben asks "Did you work on your hours?"

See, I will get a nice little raise per client when all is said and done.  So, to Ben, this is lost $$.  To me, it's tedious work that I dont want to do.  I think I just didnt want to NOT be finished.  You know?  Like add them up and not QUITE be there.  I would tell everyone (with the wave of my hand) "PSSHH...I am DONE, I just have to add up my hours and mail them in."  I was really worried about the direct/non-direct ratio (it should be half and half).

So, today, I had a block of time...so I set out to FINISH.  And I did!!!!!!!!!!!  My grand total is:

3,987.5

Direct:  2,004.0
Non-Direct:  1,983.5


I have been running around the office like a CRAZY person showing everyone (all 4 people) my spreadsheet that I printed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Then, I printed the required paperwork from the State and it's just waiting for my supervisor to sign tomorrow.  He has seen the spreadsheet, he just needs to sign off on it. 

As soon as he signs, I'm going to put my check with it and SEND IT OFF BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! 

No longer will I be:
Kristina Stephens, MA, LPC-Intern

but I will be:
Kristina Stephens, MA, LPC

That is all. 
Thankyouverymuch!
Can I get an "AMEN!!!"?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats! I have been following your blog, but have never commented...it takes lots of work and determination to get that far!

I pray that God will bless you with a baby someday soon! And my dad was an avid UK fan...he passed away almost 5 years ago :( He would have been so proud of them!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Congratulations!!

Melissa and Cas said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails